The Pembroke was a development of the Percival Prince civil transport. It had a longer wing to permit a higher fully laden weight. The prototype flew on 21 November 1952. Production was complete in early 1958.
It entered service with the Royal Air Force as the Percival Pembroke C.1 in 1953 to replace the Avro Anson for light transport duties. As with other RAF transports, the passenger seats are rearward-facing for improved safety.
Six were produced as the Pembroke C(PR).1 photographic reconnaissance aircraft. these saw use by No. 81 Squadron RAF during the Malayan Emergency. The RAF’s Pembrokes were modified to extend their lifespan in 1970. The last unit to use them was No. 60 Squadron RAF based at RAF Wildenrath in Germany, these were withdrawn from use in 1988 and were replaced by the Hawker Siddeley Andover.
The Finnish Air Force operated two aircraft for aerial photography between 1956 to 1968, on behalf of the National Land Survey of Finland. One of the aircraft was destroyed when it hit a snow wall during landing in 1965. The other aircraft is currently stored at the Aviation Museum of Central Finland.
Pembroke Mk 51 s/n K66-4002 is on display at Taylor’s Stateline Liquor Store in Neelyville, MO.
Air Atlantique Classic Flight at Coventry Airport, England operate Pembroke C.1 G-BXES painted as XL954 in RAF Transport Command Livery.
Pembroke SE-BKH (ex RAF XK884) is at Västerås Flygmuseum, Sweden, in airworthy condition with Swedish markings.
Pembroke C52/Tp 83, Swedish Flygvapnet 83007 is displayed at Svedinos Bil- och Flygmuseum, Ugglarp, Halland, Sweden.
Pembrokes C54 54+21 and 54+24 are at Flugausstellung Hermeskeil, Rheinland Pfalz, Germany.
Pembroke C54 54+02 is displayed at Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum, Germany, marked as “D-CAKE”.
Pembroke C54 AS+558 / 54+07 is displayed at Militärhistorisches Museum Flugplatz Berlin-Gatow, Germany.